Cherry Hood

Try to find brushes like these - all synthetic bristles- plenty of bounce back when wet.  The bristle or handlecolour is not important.


Windsor and Newton paints are available at the WORKSHOP if you can't find them near you.

 Windsor and Newton price-list. 

Use this list as a price guide, you should not pay more:
If you cannot get the list of colours in Windsor and Newton 
I’ll have them here for you to purchase at the workshop. 
14 ml tubes
 Vandyke Brown
 Naples Yellow
 Titanium White
 Ivory Black
 Are all Series One colours
 French Ultramarine Blue is Series 2 Colour
 Alizarin Crimson Permanent is series 3

Prussian Blue (optional) 5 ml

Burnt Sienna (optional) 5ml

Series One colours  

If you phone or go to ARTHEAD at Mossvale (on the way to the workshop from Sydney)  and BUY DIRECT you can GET all these colours at a 10% discount off their listed price. Thanks ArtHead!

278 ARGYLE STREET,  MOSSVALE NSW 2577, 02 4868200

Or if you order by phone YOUR PACKAGE CAN BE DELIVERED HERE AND BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE and you still get the discount but you will pay for delivery.

 the picture above shows some ideal shallow plastic containers for mixing paint and making washes,  a simple cheap spray bottle from the hardware store, (don't buy from Coles! they don't work for long) and my palettes. These large rectangular plastic paletts are ideal for my workshop.

WARNING!! Eckersley's has recently sold several of my students Arches printing paper (which is like painting on blotting paper!)  please be sure your Arches paper has 'Aquarelle' embossed in the corner!

What to Bring for Cherry Hood Watercolour Workshops

Cherry has photos for students to use at her residential workshops

For the workshop you will need:


Arches watercolour paper is best for this workshop, rough or medium - cold or smooth (hot pressed), its a matter of your taste.

Buy 300 gsm or 640 gsm are best as we will not be stretching the paper. 

Bring at least 3 large (580mm x 760mm) sheets for the weekend course.

please don't roll your paper.

Do not bring, Chinese calligraphy paper as it is too absorbent.  Printing paper is also too absorbent because it does not have sizing on the surface and all-purpose paper is often not absorbent enough. Watercolour paper has a gelatin medium called sizing on the surface which makes it perfect for watercolour painting.


LARGE rectangle WHITE PLASTIC PALETTE Bring a palette with plenty of pots for paint, plus places for mixtures and watery mixtures.

CONTAINERS Bring one large container for water and half a dozen small containers, shallow plastic dip or takeway containers are great.  A large opening is needed for your big brushes. Takeway food containers are very good. White or clear so you can easily see the colour of the paints or the dirtyness of your water. We will be pouring paint which has been mixed up in these containers. Screw top containers are handy to take home left over mix especially the flesh colour which can be difficult to get right. Cherry has dozens of miscellaneous containers for your use.

Bring two large rolls of soft, very absorbent paper towel - my favourite brand is Handee.
Paper towel is not just for cleaning up but it is a very important part of your painting equipment.


See Picture above

Bring one FLAT soft Nylon or Synthetic brush which is 5cm wide. these are available at reject or Dollars shops. the 6 cm brush is too large for the paper we are using in the workshop.
Bring several large soft FLAT synthetic brushes from 2cm and wide up to 4cms wide.
Bring about 3 ROUND Nylon brushes from fine for detail to large for washes.  Check when you buy them that they have plenty of spring back when bent and that they form a good sharp point. The pic above is a good example of what you need.

You need at least one - one cm square finish STIFF nylon or synthetic oil painting brush, these are great for scrubbing back small areas. 

Do not bring natural fibre brushes, such as hog or squirrel or sable, they do not have enough spring back.

Do not bring Chinese calligraphy brushes are unsuitable for my process.

Cheap plastic 500ml water spray bottle you can also get a small fine spray from art suppliers but it's not essential. 

Ruler and waterproof Pen (fine or medium not thick)

Bring a few very large sheets cheap Bond or low grade Cartridge paper or similar paper for making long strips for measuring and scaling up. (not for painting on) try to get the cover sheet for your paper when you buy it. theres one in each pack of 5.

Masking or sticky tape. 



In the cleaning section of Coles and Woolies you can find a little white sponge called a Magic Cleaner. It's for cleaning marks off walls extra. It is great for cleaning sections of your painting which need to be changed. 


Make a Free Website with Yola.